Assist the Laboratory Manager in the coordination of laboratory activities. Provide accurate, timely and cost effective testing of patient samples to aid in the diagnosis and treatment of disease in compliance and harmony with the quality management system.
- LAB PROCEDURES: Performs a variety of technical laboratory procedures according to the Hospital, laboratory and national standards to obtain patient specimens and to ensure specimen quality used to aid in the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
- DOCUMENTATION: Responsible for accurately completing records and reports and other statistical information for master files or databases. Follows laboratory policy for data retrieval, record keeping, specimen, and identification, requisition, reporting, charting, and billing procedures.
- COMMUNICATION/TEAMWORK: Maintains positive working relationship with the medical staff and hospital personnel. Uses positive interpersonal skills to educate/support lab customers and promote success of team members. Uses clear and concise verbal and written communication with staff and the public. Acts independently on supervisor’s direction and accepts responsibility of the adopted policy and procedures of the hospital and the laboratory. Shares call duty and works different shifts as required.
- QUALITY CONTROL/QUALITY IMPROVEMENT: Participates in QC/QI for area of specialty and Lab indicators. Does not report patient results unless quality control data are within accepted parameters. Recognizes out of control values, takes corrective action, and notifies others of changes.
- SAFETY AND EDUCATION: Complies with laboratory safety procedures. Possesses adequate knowledge of instrumentation, theory, and application of new and existing tests. Completes education necessary to maintain licensure or certification for the job.
- PROBLEM SOLVING/CRITICAL THINKING: Assumes responsibility to resolve problems. Performs required preventative maintenance procedures in laboratory instrumentation. Investigates and resolves technical problems, consults supervisor if resolution involves policy or procedure modification. Identifies real or potential situations or equipment failure, attempts to resolve within area of specialty or knowledge and refers complex issues to appropriate source. May be a key analyzer operator with proper training and documentation of skills. Follows the laboratory safety policies and participates in safety education programs
- Tests are performed according to laboratory procedure and guidelines and test results are correctly and legibly entered on the patient report forms and laboratory records.
- Specimens are checked as to their condition, acceptability and appropriateness to the test and exception s are noted.
- Special assigned work or projects are completed as instructed.
- Maintains a neat, sanitary, organized work area.
- Keeps an adequate supply of working materials on hand.
- Work pending is organized and appropriately left for follow up.
- All critical values are reported promptly to the physician and charge nurse.
- Charge slips are accurate, complete, and legible.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience as a Laboratory Technologist is required
- Strong organisational skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to speak and write in English is required
- Bachelor’s degree in Clinical Laboratory Science or Medical Technology or equivalent
- Current national license is required
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org